Going through the paysclaes of some of the companies that visit top notch institutes every year , an interesting thought hit me .
Do we join a bigger mnc and then join a smaller company as a team lead ... or
Do we slog at a smaller company and then join a bigger comapany ,in all probability as another programmer ,and if lucky a project lead.
And hence I came up with the "sing-song career thoery" as I 'd like to call it that could add some scope of direction to an illustrious career in the IT field.
My "sing-song career thoery" states : While doing a job shift ,toggle between a big company and a small company.
This could help you in a number of ways I feel :
- join a big company to add the brand image to ur CV thru the biggie's ,learn how to scale up .
- join the small company for innovation and applying what youve learnt at the big companies
-go back to a big comapny and show them the results of what you applied in the smaller company
Continue this cycle and im guessing you should have one amazing CV and a satisfying and challenging job profile that would'nt allow stagnation at any point in your career.
Here are the stats by the way,courtesy of few threads at Pagalguy.
Triology : 6+ L p.a.
Microsoft : 6+ L p.a.
Flextronics : 36K p.m.
Oracle : 35K p.m.
Motorola : 4+ L p.a.
CTS : 18K p.m.
Wipro : 18K p.m.
Infosys : 15K p.m.(might increase after may 2005 ) yes ,to 18k
TCS : 15K p.m.
techspan/headstrong : 5 lpa
samsung : 4.6 lpa
softgin : 35kpm
intel : 4.9lpa
computer associates : 4.5 lpa(approx)
sun microsystems : 5 lpa
infy setlabs : 4.2 lpa
HLS Asia - 8.25
Indus Logic - 4
Interra Systems(H\W) - 4.6
Fiorano - 5
Attrenta - 4.5
Mindtree/Nagarro/MBT/HCLTech/Perot Systems - 2.5
CISCO - 3.65 lacs pa+PF+Gratuity= 4.1 lac (appx)
SAP Labs - 3.98 lacs pa
google 12lpa for development, 8lpa for testing
Hexaware - 2.1 pa
Kanbay - 2.28 pa
Syntel - 2.05 pa
These were the best packages offered at IITM for B.Techs/Dual degree in '05 -
1. Capital One - $59,000 p.a (US posting) , selected -2
2. Mckinsey and Co - Rs. 7 L ,selected -2
3. Trilogy - 8.1 , selected 4-6
4. Amazon - 7-8
5. Microsoft - 7.5
6. Schlumberger - >8L if placed in India, but 50% of selected students to be placed abroad
6. Lee specialities - $ 29,000 + benefits (training in Canada, then in middle east or Canada) ,selected -4
7. NVidia - 6+
8. ITC - 8+
9. HLL - 7.2
10. Cash systems, Switzerland - USD 6,000 p.m ,selected 3-4
11. ZS Associates - ~6L ,selected 6-7
12. Oracle - 5L for people without CS background, 5.5L for CS students and 6L for CS PG's,seleected 16-17
13. Chartered Semiconductors - 2,800 Singapore Dollars p.m ,selected 3-4
14. Computer associates - 5 +